I hate throwing out food that has gone bad. Not only is it a waste of money, but there is also the guilt that comes with it – think of the starving children in Africa, among others. I used to be a terrible offender, but since I started my diet, the only food that I’ve let spoil was a $1 bag of radishes. Not bad.
Since I’m going to be on the low-calorie diet for at least the next three weeks, there were several items in my fridge that I needed to cook over the weekend so they wouldn’t go to waste. Those items included: a head of cauliflower, half a container of ricotta cheese, a big hunk of mozzarella cheese, and a smaller chunk of cheddar cheese.
After spending most of Saturday scouring the internet for recipes (because lately that is the only thing I do on the weekends), I came up with the perfect meal that would incorporate ALL of the items I needed to use, and wouldn’t require me making an additional trip to the supermarket: a white spinach pizza with a cauliflower crust. Low carb, and it may be gluten free as well. I’m still learning about gluten, so maybe it isn’t.
I followed two recipes – one for cauliflower pizza crust and one for white pizza.
Cauliflower pizza crust (her pictures are wayyy better than mine!)
2 cups shredded cauliflower
1 large egg
1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese (or try another kind!) (I used mozzarella AND cheddar)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic (I used garlic)
1/2 teaspoon onion salt (I used regular salt)
1. Shred the cauliflower into small crumbles. Place the cauliflower crumbles in a large bowl and microwave them (dry) for 8 minutes. Give the cauliflower a chance to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet or pizza pan with nonstick spray (or use a nonstick surface).
3. In a medium bowl, mix the cauliflower with the remaining ingredients.
4. Pat the “crust” into a 9 to 12-inch round on the prepared pan. (I used a cookie sheet, because I was making double.)
5. Spray the crust lightly with nonstick spray (I forgot that part) and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove the crust from the oven.
White pizza recipe (I modified it a bit since I wanted to use up everything I had)
8 ounces mozzerella, cut into 1/4 inch slices
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
3 Tbs grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbs olive oil
3 cloves chopped garlic
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
1. Place oven rack in lowest position. Heat oven to 450 degrees F. (I didn’t even see the part about the oven rack.)
2. Mix ricotta and Parmesan together; set aside.
3. In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook garlic for 1 minute. Add spinach, salt, and rosemary to pan and cook, stirring, for 9 minutes or until tender; set aside.
How I messed it up:
1 – I used too much ricotta.
2 – The cheese in the crust was cut too big. I need a cheese grater.
3 – A thinner and crispier layer of crust would have tasted better.
Even still, it was delicious. How could anything with that much cheese not be?