On my first time around, I was very nervous to make the transition to the maintenance phase of the HCG diet. There were so many more foods to incorporate, and SO many more calories to eat. Fortunately I managed to get several recipes under my belt, so now I can’t WAIT to get off the low calorie phase and START COOKING!
Spinach and Feta Turkey Burger – 355 calories
4 oz. turkey (I’ve only tried 93% lean)
Handful of spinach
2 oz. feta cheese
1 clove garlic, chopped
Oregano, salt and pepper to taste
Even though I was on maintenance and had 1400 calories a day to play around with, when it came to meat I tended to follow the portion rules of the low calorie diet, meaning 4 ounces of meat per serving. Since those packages of turkey are 20 ounces, I portioned off two patties for the turkey burgers (one for dinner and one for the next day’s lunch) and put the rest in the freezer. Also, I used one egg for two patties.
1. Put a really low flame under a frying pan, then add a little bit of olive oil.
2. Mix ingredients into mixing bowl and form into patties. I used 2 ounces of feta because that’s “one serving” according to the package, but I think it could be cut down to 1 ounce and still be amazing. And then it would only be 285 calories per patty!
3. Put the patties into the pan.
4. I chose to cut up an onion and throw it in with the patties – obviously you can add whatever veg you want.
4. While everything was cooking I weighed and portioned the rest of the turkey.
5. Cook for about 20 minutes, then serve!
Oh man, it was so good! I can’t wait to be able to eat this again!