The best week of my life

The past 7 days are going down as the best week of my life thus far. My professional life, personal life and love life all received a major boost, and I’m still riding high!

I’ll start with the “boring” stuff:

Professional: On Tuesday I had my annual review at work, and I got a promotion and a decent raise. I had been hoping to be promoted, but considering the tone of my last few reviews (combative would be a good word to describe them), I definitely wasn’t expecting it. So that was nice.

Personal: You may or may not know that I started taking salsa classes about a year ago (almost exactly a year ago, actually). I progressed from Beginner to Advanced Beginner to Intermediate easily enough, but at the end of the Intermediate cycle in March they told me that they didn’t think I was ready for the Advanced level. I was really disappointed when that happened, but there was nothing for me to do but repeat the Intermediate cycle and hope that I would pass it in June.

And I did! Last night we had our evaluations, and I’m happy to report that now I am officially an advanced-level salsa dancer (whatever that means, lol). Seriously, my excitement level over reaching the Advanced level is at least equal to getting the promotion, and quite possibly even higher.

And now for the dirt:

Love: Two years ago, my friend and I took a trip to New Orleans. The day before we were scheduled to come home, we met these two guys while riding the trolly. We ended up hanging out with them all night, as well as most of the next day until we had to go. We had been having a good time before we met them, but they were so nice, fun, funny, and friendly that it turned our trip into the best trip I have ever been on. Since then, one of the guys, B, has come up to New York a few times, and every time he’s come we’ve made sure to show him just as good a time as they showed us when we were there.

So about two weeks ago, B sent us a message that he and the other guy, Dave, would be coming up to New York for a week and would love to hang out with us if we were available. I always get ridiculously excited when B says he’s coming up (mostly because he’s so nice and is really fun to hang out with, but also because because it means lots of going out and partying), but this time I was also filled with a nervous anticipation.

Dave and I had hooked up when I was in New Orleans, but except for some sporadic Facebook interactions (a “Like” here, a “Happy Birthday!” there), we hadn’t spoken. In the meantime he had a baby. When B told me they were coming I immediately headed to Facebook, but even with all of my supreme stalking skills I was unable to tell if he was still with the mother.

No matter. Even if there wasn’t another hookup in our future, Dee and I would still take them out and show them a great time in New York City.

Last Monday was their first night here. Dee and I met up with them and a third friend at Bryant Park. We did a little sightseeing before taking them to an amazing Peruvian restaurant for dinner. Dave and I immediately gravitated to each other, occasionally breaking away from the group, talking while we were walking. Over the course of dinner (and sangria), a few things were said that made me like 99% sure that he wasn’t with his son’s mother any more (he’s not).

After dinner we went to a bar. Dee left at around midnight, but I decided to stay out. I was having fun and Dave and I were definitely vibing, and I didn’t want it to end. At some point in the night we did end up making out. That night I stayed out until 5 in the morning.

The rest of the week was more of the same. The guys would come into the city after work (they were in NY to help with some Hurricane Sandy rebuilding – did I mention they’re firefighters?) and we would meet up with them for drinks. On Tuesday I got home at 4 am, on Wednesday maybe 1 am, on Thursday it was 2 am, and on Friday it was 5 am. I don’t know how I managed to keep going all week. Oh wait, I do. It was because I wanted to hang out with Dave. Duh.

I don’t really know how to say it other than we just clicked. Of course there was an intense physical attraction, but over the course of next few days, Dave and I talked a ton, and laughed a LOT. He’s a really funny guy with a charismatic personality. On Wednesday night I told him he should come stay at my house that night. He did. Thursday and Friday night too.

On Wednesday we also talked about him extending his stay. Originally the guys were supposed to leave on Saturday morning. I told him he should stay, that he could stay with me if he wanted. He said that he wanted to, that him and B had already been talking about staying maybe until Sunday or Monday. It would be easy for him – since he had driven up, he would just have to book a flight home.

On Thursday I started looking for flights for him. When I texted him the various flights and prices he said he would talk about it with B later. When I said, “You should stay even if B doesn’t,” he said “True. I will.”

And so he stayed. B ended up leaving as he was scheduled to, so it was just me and Dave for the next few days. On Saturday we went to the city and walked around, then went to Central Park and laid out on the grass, and then went to Union Square Park and basically did the same thing. Then we stopped at my mom’s house so I could borrow her car for the next few days (yes, he met my mom lol. She and her boyfriend really liked him.). We were both EXHAUSTED after 5 nights of heavy partying, so that night we just grabbed a bite to eat and then came back to my place.

On Sunday we went to the beach, where we both got horribly sunburned because we ended up falling asleep. Huge mistake – we were both so burned that we could barely move, let alone hug and kiss. But we made do. That night we went out for dinner, then I took him to Astoria Park, which has an amazing view of the city, and then we grabbed some beers. No way we were gonna let a sunburn stand in the way of having an amazing last night together.

On Monday we were supposed to go to the 9/11 memorial, but we had both slept horribly because of our sunburns and neither of us felt like walking around in the 91 degree weather. So we went to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients for Red Beans, a (New Orleans?) dish he had told me about on his first night here. He showed me how to make it. It was amaaaazing.

Originally his flight was booked for Monday at 6 pm. I dropped him off at the airport and went home to an empty apartment, sad that he was gone but also happy for the time we spent together and hopeful for what the future may bring. We had talked about me going to visit him in August, and I felt pretty secure in the fact that our week together was more than a fling. About an hour later he called to tell me his flight was canceled and had been rescheduled to the next morning. At first I didn’t believe him, but eventually he convinced me and I went back to the airport to get him.

That night we ate Red Beans for dinner and then went to a wine bar and drank Sangria. We talked about how strong out feelings were for each other, and decided to see where things go. “Great,” I said, “we’ll be in a long-distance relationship. Cause those ALWAYS work out so well!” He laughed and pointed out that most long-distance relationships usually start out with the couple being together at first and THEN apart, but we might be okay since we were starting out long-distance and weren’t used to anything else. Perhaps.

On Tuesday morning I dropped him off at the airport. We texted throughout the day, then talked on the phone at night. Talked on the phone! I hate talking on the phone! But with him the conversation is so easy that I didn’t have any of my usual hangups. Yesterday was the same – texting throughout the day, then a phone convo at night.

Sometime during the day yesterday I decided that I didn’t want to wait all the way until August to see him again. So I booked a trip to New Orleans from July 10 – 15. I can’t wait to see him again and see where this goes. I know that I should say that there’s a small part of me that’s nervous that things won’t be the same when I see him, just so I can keep my feelings in check, but I honestly I don’t feel that way at all.

So yeah, a whirlwind romance, a promotion, and the fulfillment of a personal goal, all in the course of one week. Doesn’t get much better than that!


About notchangingmyname

I'm a thirty-something, about-to-be-divorced, former blogger trying to navigate single life.
This entry was posted in Blog, Dance, Dating, Life, Love, Personal, Relationships, Sex, Writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The best week of my life

  1. Yay! I love hearing this kind of news. Congrats on the personal, professional and love life news 🙂

  2. nikki says:

    Congrats! (and firefighters *swoooon*)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s